The purple thread...

All my life, I have believed that I've been born to do things different.... Never knew that its conveniently termed as being a freak of nature.... it is said that we are all unique but some are more unique than others.... I've been that way.... since childhood, I was too South Indian to be a Gujarati and too Gujarati to be a South Indian... too linguistically gifted to deny my roots, too numerically challenged, to live up to it..... I've always looked different to other people... but never felt anything inside.... I had almost resigned to the fact that I am an anomaly of nature... a piece of jigsaw puzzle that has no place to fit....

But then, just the other day, I was watching Boston Legal (a series I love so deeply, that I don't follow it too often.) In one episode, the character of David Spader says

"Epictetus compared people who “fit in” to the white threads of a toga. Indistinguishable. He wanted to be the purple thread. “That small part which is bright, and makes all the rest appear graceful and beautiful. Why then” he asked, “do you tell me to make myself like the many? And if I do, how shall I still be purple?”

Its ironic how all our questions get answered when we stop searching.... I wish i could stop searching the answers for all my questions....

No comments:

Post a Comment