Happy New Year!

Everybody, I know, is going ga-ga over the new year.... there has been a flurry of resolutions made and broken in front of me in the last 3 days... Chain smokers 'deciding' to stop smoking... and five minutes later, deciding to 'go slow'.... Hybrids of man and sloth deciding to get up early... starting from 'tomorrow'..... over-weights deciding to lose weight and under-weights deciding to do the opposite... I knew that you would ask..... No, I did not make any resolutions.... I don't need the date on the calender to be January 1, 2008 in order to decide to do something (or not to do something, whichever the case might be.)

I don't understand why whole of India is going gung-ho over the new year.... I mean, we have at least 2-3 new years every year!!!... Tamilians and Ahoms have it in april (and i strongly suspect that there are more in this list)... Gujaratis have it in October.... or is it November?? (who cares, by the time its October or November I am also halfway into my year!!)....

The only reason I could think of is that.... this is probably the day when you can let out your deepest wish in the form of a 'resolution' and test the ramifications of what would happen....

Ladies and Gentlemen, time for some revelations!!!.... when an obviously obese person resolves loudly in your vicinity that he wants to lose weight.... what he is secretly aspiring to achieve is your sympathy and a word or two like "oh! you look just fine"... "you are smarter than everyone else".... "size doesn't matter"..... Think of it this way, if your wife/girlfriend/partner asks you if she/he is looking fat... how would you reply??..... exactly!!!.... you are expected to use that same diplomacy on 1st January as well!!

I do not want to be perceived to be a party pooper.... at the end of the day, the only thing that stands between a resolution and a success, is the will to do so.... So, there are obviously many cases of successful resolutions as well (although, I've not come across one so far)..... so if you are one of those who resolved.... and who resolved successfully.... then I guess you wasted your time in reading this blog.... this was supposed to be an ode for nincompoops like me!!!..... and for everyone who resolved and then absolved...... Let us firmly resolve that we will stick to all resolutions we make on January 1, 2009.....


P.S.: I know that its not going to work.... but like I always say..... "We all live in a constant hope"

No comments:

Post a Comment